8.07.2012

A Pretty Flower Girl

One of my good friend's sister is getting married in less than a month and she asked me to create a flower girl shirt and tutu to dress her two adorable nieces in.  The tutu I had no problem visualizing (they're all about the same), but I was really struggling with an idea for the flower girl shirt.

Thanks to my recent pregnancy insomnia... I was awoke in the middle of the night with an inspiration from Love Maegan I'd seen a few months back. It would be perfect to go with a giant fluffy tutu without being "too much".

I needed to make 2 shirts (one for a 4 year old and 1 for an 18m old).  Luckily, I could find a V-neck shirt for the older of the girls, but I have never seen a V-neck onsie (have you?!) so I set out to create my own.  This youTube clip helped me gather my thoughts around how to accomplish this (and I loved how short and to the point she made it!)

I started just as Wendy did by ripping out the seam around the neckband of the onsie.

Cut the neckband in half, as well as cut a small amount of fabric from the shirt to create the V look.  ( I was nervous about this part... I don't want this cute 18m looking too, risque).

Being my first time re-sewing a collar to a shirt, it didn't come out as nicely as I'd hope but since I was going to be covering it with beads, I let my perfectionist self go and called it good.

Start adding beads/pearls/adornments across neckband.  I did a variety of sizes and mixed white pearls with slightly pink pearls at first.  (When I was almost finished, I found some really pretty dark purple beads to accent the tutu and had to add them). 

When you're happy with the look of the beads, you're done!  A fancy look, without the danger of strangling on the pearl necklace!  I can't WAIT to see these on the girls!

I hope you enjoy making this!  Until next time... XO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say... leave a comment to spread the love.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...